Nicaraguan Delegation 2015
Welcoming our Nicaraguan Sisters and Brothers!
From Wednesday, September 16- Tuesday, September 29, we'll be welcoming members of our sister community from Dulce Nombre de Jesús, Nicaragua to Church of the Covenant. On this page you'll find information about the delegation, schedule, contact information, and even some music and Spanish tips!
Please note that the activities listed in BOLD type are open to everyone in the congregation. Please join us for those! The activities not listed in bold are meant to be small gatherings just for the delegates.
WEDNESDAY, SEPT 16- THURSDAY, SEPT 17
FRIDAY, SEPT 18
- Welcome, delegates! Our 9 guests arrive Wednesday evening and will spend their first day getting acquainted with Edwards House in Framingham and meeting members of the Chelsea Latino Immigrant Committee on Thursday evening.
SATURDAY, SEPT 19
- Members of the Covenant community are invited to Edwards House in Framingham for dinner and activities with the delegates from 5:30- 8:00 pm.
SUNDAY, SEPT 20
- All church retreat day! Join the delegates and a large gathering of Covenant members at Edward House for a retreat by day and a salsa party by night! Visit http://www.cotcbos.org/cotc-all-church-annual-retreat.html to learn more.
MONDAY, SEPT 21
- Worship at Covenant will begin at 10:30 am and will include a sermon by Julie and Communion. Stay after the service for a potluck lunch and a workshop on income disparity, wealth and the economy by leaders from United for a Fair Economy. The delegates will meet their first homestay families following the workshop.
TUESDAY, SEPT 22
- The delegates will tour the Covenant sanctuary with our Open Sanctuary hosts in the morning. At 3:00 pm, all are invited to a conversation with Beverly Williams on Prison Reform in the Josephine Black Room at Covenant.
WEDNESDAY, SEPT 23
- The delegates will spend the much of the day at Trudi Veldman’s house for lunch, worship planning and a visit to Hudson’s Vegetable Farm.
THURSDAY, SEPT 24
- At noon, the guests will meet with Audrey Holt of the Women’s Lunch Place for a tour, conversation and lunch. In the evening, the congregation is invited to join the delegates at 6:30 pm in Bates Hall to view a new documentary on the “Delegate of the Word movement” about their Nicaraguan village, theology, and faith community. The delegates will meet their homestay families following the documentary viewing.
FRIDAY, SEPT 25
- At 10 am, the delegates will have a conversation on domestic violence with Robyn Riseberg and Betsy Groves at the South End Health Center. In the afternoon, they will visit Spectacle Island.
SATURDAY, SEPT 26
- The delegates will visit Anna Hendricks’ farm during the day and will then return to the Groves’ home for dinner.
SUNDAY, SEPT 27
- The Young Adults group (Food, Faith Fellowship) is taking the delegates out for a picnic followed by a walking tour and photo tour of Boston. The congregation is then invited to Mocky and Brad Day’s home in Roslindale at 5:00 pm for a “Despedida” or “Good Bye Party” and potluck dinner!
MONDAY, SEPT 28- TUESDAY, SEPT 29
- The delegates will host our worship service at 10:30 am in the style of their home faith community in Nicaragua. After the service, all are invited to a potluck lunch followed by a reflection led by our facilitators from Entre Culturas/Between Cultures.
- The delegates will spend their final day in rest and reflection back at Edwards House in Framingham.
Basic Spanish Phrases for the Delegation (download below)
Music from Nicaragua
La Paz/ The Peace
Misión del Cristiano/ The Christian Mission